Friday, October 28, 2011

Life Got In The Way, Or Did It?!

The above title could mean lots of things.  It could mean that someone has stumbled in life, in addiction, in their job, in their walk with God, in their marriage, with their finances, with their health.  There are so many possibilities that the words "life got in the way" could reference.  In the case I am making tonight, it means just as it reads life got in the way.

Why does it always seem as though life interrupts everything?  School, work, time with loved ones, personal time for yourself, time with friends? Why is the reason for failing to follow through with a commitment that you have contracted with yourself or someone else always "well, you know life got in the way?"  I use that expression as though it lived in the same house as me.  As though it sits down with my family at the dining room table for dinner. Well, you know I couldn't make it to the gym because life got in the way; I'm sorry I didn't call you back when I said I would, life got in the way and I forgot;  I know I was supposed to have a girls' day with you but, life got in the way.  This may sound harsh, but WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT MEAN???

As I pondered this just this very minute, it came to me that it is in fact an excuse I use when I've screwed up.  When I don't want to own up to the decisions I have made.  In fact, the reason I haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks, isn't because life got in the way, it's because I've been to lazy to go.  There, I said it.  It stung just a little bit, not nearly as much as I thought it would.  I didn't call you back because when I said I was, I didn't make a mental note that if I didn't call you it might hurt your feelings. I haven't gone on a girls' day because I fill my calendar up way to full, and didn't realize how much you need time away.  I didn't read my Bible, or get on my knees to pray in the past month because I didn't make it a priority.  I put my selfishness in front of all the things that really matter.

Judge Judy doesn't care if I watch her or not, her feelings aren't going to get hurt if I forget to call her.  However, my dear friend's feeling may get hurt if they are looking forward to our conversation.  The person who is struggling may so desperately need a girls' night, or even just a cup of coffee and a shoulder to lean on just to get through another day.

I am so guilty of my excuse life just got in the way, that I've been leaning on that as my way to ignore or surpass the things that really matter.

My life gets so much better when I go to the Lord in prayer, open my Bible and study His word and what He is trying to say to me.  My life gets so much fuller when I can reach out to those in need, especially if they don't know Him, or are coming back to Him, or are trying to get to know Him. My life is so much better when I chase my kids around the house instead of plopping down on the couch when I get home from work.  My life is so much better when I don't let myself get in the way.

My you not get in His way for your life here!

Because of Him,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment