Friday, December 23, 2011

Black Friday Shoppers Are Crazy!

He he! I love this title because I am one of them!  Every year for the past 5 years, I would have to say that I have gone out black Friday shopping.  It all started with my mother and sisters-in-laws.  I'm not sure I had many to buy for then besides Adam, and the few gifts I bought for my parents, but it was a good time had by all followed by lunch at Applebee's.

For the past 2 years I have gone with a dear friend who has a list of what to get and where to go first.  I have to admit that last year was so much fun, I was oh so eager to go this year and add another fabulous friend to the chaos.  When we arrived at Old Navy, the line was not so bad, but as we got in, the line snaked through the store as people waited to pay for their best deals.

Why are we all so eager to save a few bucks? To stand out in the freezing cold?  What is it about Black Friday that gets everyone's adrenaline pumping and hearts racing?

What if we could be so eager and enthuziastic about GOD?  Isn't He reason why we are shopping at midnight;  beginning to prepare for the celebration of His birth?  Why can't we be like the people at sports games that paint their faces and their stomachs for that matter, routing for the team that they want to win?  Aren't we supposed to be routing for our Father?  Aren't we supposed to be putting ourselves out there, sometime looking like a fool to others?  Aren't our hearts and minds supposed to be pumping the love of our God through ourselves to others around us?

Why is it so difficult to be so into God like it is to be so into the Patriots or the Red Sox (or the "other" teams if you must).  Why do we spend so much on tickets to games, team hats and jerseys but when it comes time to buy a new Bible or study, we think twice about the price?

Why is it not o.k. to say Merry Christmas now?  Why must people say Happy Holidays?  No, I do not celebrate the holidays, I celebrate Christmas, and if you don't, let's have a conversation.  Let me show you how crazy I am about my God, and how He changed my life, and better yet, how He can change yours.  Why is that so difficult for us?

Is it because we are looked at as being crazy?  Who really cares?  It can't be any worse then the beer gut that is painted with Yankee colors. (Had to get in my jab).

So, my challenge for all of us this Christmas is to be so energetic, crazy, and totally into our God that some people may think we are crazy.  After all, we may just be that.

Because of Him,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment