Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Life Resolution; Not New Years

I've been contemplating for quite some time now what it is that I want to blog about.  I've gone back and forth between resolutions and time for change.  Then I thought, well they both really can go hand in hand.

Resolutions are always made, most of the time always broken.  I have been guilty of always making a New Year's resolution every year and for the first month or so doing very well at it.  Stop spending money on coffee, go to the gym, read more watch less, keeping the house clean, eating dinner at the table every night, making dinner every night.  Getting up earlier to have my time to read my Bible, or do my study, write a letter to someone I haven't seen in a decade.

Every year they are all met with great expectations and the determination to actually follow through with all these "things" I want to change about myself and my life.  Of course they are all for the better...right?.  

This year was no different, I hummed and hawed about what is was that I really wanted to change about my life, what was it that really needed to be different?  I've been going to the gym, making coffee at home, making dinner, having friends over, doing my study, reading my Bible, eating at the dinner table.

Then I decided that I am not going to make a New Year's resolution, but I am going to make a life change.  I am going to change my attitude.  For those of you that know me, I am sure that you are so relieved to hear this.  I am going to change my attitude and be content as to where God puts me, who He puts in my life, and what He gives (or takes away) from me.  I know, HUGE "resolution" if you will.

It's not really a resolution, because it's in the Bible that we are to be content in all we do anyway.   Here are a few places it tells of this. Taken from the book "The Resolution for Women". Although it really is from The Book.

  • "True godliness with contentment is itself great wealth." 1Timothy 6:6 NLT
  • "If we have food and clothing, with these we shall be content." 1Timothy 6:8 AMP
  • " Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

Now, writing that is much different than reading it for some odd reason.  The Bible does not say if you have a 10 course meal for every meal, and Puma sneakers you will be content; it says with food and clothing.  That could be a cup of rice and a loin cloth.  How many of us get so concerned that we don't have the right clothes for a wedding or the right food to serve our guests?  Does it really matter?  Not according to Him.  As long as you are clothed and fed, you should be content.  It also means that if you have the big meals and expensive sneakers that you might not necessarily be content; even though you have all the material pocessions you think you need.

It also doesn't say that you have to be poor in order to be content.  He says keep your character free from the love OF money.  Never having enough money.  That is discontentment.

My favorite though is true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth! Contentment is great wealth!

You mean if I can be content through all of the external circumstances than I am considered wealthy?!  What an awesome thing!!!  The apostle Paul is one of great contentment.  "I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am". Philippians 4:11  Also taken from "The Resolution for Women".

Paul had been beaten, stoned, he was in prison facing death, but yet, he chose to be content.  Amazing!!

I have a hard time being content staying at home, wanting to constantly redecorate the house, or wanting the newest car and hottest fashion.  Could I ever be like Paul and be content while in prison waiting to see if I would live or die?  Could I really ever be content where I am working or not working, content with the amount of money I make?  Content with the shoes that need to be repaired?  Hmmm, I'm not sure that this is a change or resolution that I can actually follow through on.

However, God is able to make every grace overflow to you, so that in every way, always having everything you need, you may excel in every good work.   2 Corinthians 9:8

HE IS ABLE TO GIVE US EVERYTHING WE MAY EVER NEED!

Not just food, not just shelter, but EVERYTHING!!! How absolutely amazing is that?!!

So, as I start this journey of contentment, I am excited as well as a little nervous as to what God is going to change or keep in my life.  But, whatever the change, I'm sure with Him I will be able to be content in my life resolution.

Because of Him,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment