Sunday, August 7, 2011

Training for a 5K

Well good afternoon all!  We have big news in our home today! Adam and I have officially started training for a 5K.  For those of you who do not know, that is 3.1 miles.  YIKES!  Now, as some of you know we've been walking that for a while now.  Running it is a totally different story.  I don't care if I win, it's not about the prize, I'm more worried about failing.  So, in order to do my best at not failing, I have started to train for it.  Adam has decided to jump on board with me.  Let's just get one thing straight, I DO NOT RUN!  He he.  When I met Adam, he ran for miles a day.  NOT ME!

As I was running on the treadmill today, it crossed my mind how awful it would be to register and start this race to never finish it.  A big ol' failure.

How can this be brought into parenting?  Well, God gives us a set of training tools...the Bible.  We can toss it aside and just go at our own pace, thinking we know how to train our kids, and ourselves.  Getting to the finish line when we feel like it.
We can read bits of pieces of it pulling out certain aspects in hopes of getting the jiff of it.  Opening it up when we need a hand.
Or, we can read, apply, and train our minds and bodies in accordance to His training rules.

The same goes to running any race, not just a 5K.  If you take the tools that are set before you, study them, apply them, in the end reaching the goal that you wanted to accomplish.  So, not only am I training to run the UMA 5K in September, I'm training to be a servant of God.  Training my children to live lives that please the Lord.  Honoring Him, loving Him, and applying His commands to my race; and theirs.  And in the end being a winner no matter what number we come in.

May you all enjoy training your children for the race of Life.

Because of Him,
Michelle

1 comment: