Saturday, August 6, 2011

You're Stuck With It!

Today has been a long day to be perfectly honest.  Anytime that Adam has to work on a Saturday night, my blood pressure goes up, and my tolerance level diminishes.  Why is that?  Anyway, We ventured out to the park today to meet some friends.  They taught Shylah and Molly the "You're stuck with it" game.

What is that you may ask; well, you are in luck.  I'm about to tell you.  When someone says you're name, most people automatically say "What?"  Well, then you reply "You're stuck with it"  Go ahead, try it I guarantee  that it will make you think twice about how you answer someone.  In order to get "unstuck" you have to say "yes" or "how may I help you" anything else but WHAT the next time someone says you're name.

This got me thinking today, how many times do we say "WHAT?!" to God? "WHAT were you thinking?" "You want me to do WHAT?" "WHAT do you want me to do with this?  I earned every penny of that?!"

I know that I question God way more than I should.  WHAT if instead of saying WHAT we said:

"Lord, I'm not sure what you're plan is, but I'm going to trust you every step of the way."
or
"Lord, This is way out of my comfort zone, as you know.  I'm not exactly comfortable in doing this, however, I know that you are with me always
; so, I will do it because I am a servant of you."
or
"Lord, even though we may loose our house, and we can't pay our bills, you say you will provide everything we need.  I am giving you the first fruits of my earnings, as it all belongs to you anyway, and you are only asking for a very small amount of it."

Imagine how much nicer that all sounds to our ears, imagine if we actually said those, how it would sound to the Lord.  I can only imagine that it would sound like music to His ears.

Now, take that same statement and apply it to our lives.  Imagine how it sounds to our kids that want to speak with us, or want our attention.  Instead of just half listening and saying what, WHAT IF we actually took the time to think of a different response and actually listened fully.

Think of this.  "Mom?"  "Yes?  Shylah, you have my full attention and I'm ready to listen to you." And I love you so much, I am willing to stop, think, and actually be ready to listen to every word that you have to say to me."

Instead of this. "Mom?"  "What?"

What if our Father said that to us, His children..."WHAT does she want now?"

I don't think that it how He works.  I think He hangs onto every word that comes off our tongues.  Why should we give our children any less?

So, I hope you join me in our new little game "Stuck with it."

Because of Him,
Michelle

1 comment:

  1. There are many spelling errors in this, please disregard, as I didn't preview before I published. Happy parenting.

    ReplyDelete